8.04.2006

"It's not that I'm lazy, I just don't care."

Day 2

I think eating chinese food almost everyday for dinner growing up has made me subconsciously always want to go eat chinese whenever people ask where I want to eat. I may act like a twinkie, but man do I love me some good chinese food. So, today, Chicheal asked me where I wanted to eat, and of course, I said Bamboo Inn. Bamboo Inn is a recently renovated chinese buffet in the Mansion House downtown. Why do I like it? Well, primarily because it's clean and it seems like they have a pretty fresh rotation of the food out there, so nothing sits too long. Okay, I know that if you've read my earlier posts, then you've read my rants about chinese buffet, especially during the summer time. But, this place may be an exception and where else am I going to go if I want chinese food downtown? I went to the Red Door once and the scariness of that place was enough to make me want to punch myself in the face for being stupid enough to walk into an underground chinese buffet.

So, Kohn, Cicheal and I went to the Bamboo. What was good? Well, Kohn immediately began wolfing down the General Tso's chicken. I swear that if they didn't run out of it, Kohn would've eaten himself into a coma. Apparently it was pretty good. Here's the thing about General Tso's chicken. It's good when the chicken is still crispy. It's average when it becomes soggy from the sauce. Bamboo's, unfortunately, was soft from the sauce. If you want to know what crispy General Tso's tastes like, and how good it is, I recommend going to Four Seasons on Grand and giving it a try there. It's a Vietnamese restaurant, but man is it good. Speaking of Vietnamese, I like Bamboo because they have all you can eat Pho, the Vietnamese noodle soup. The lady makes it fresh for you on the spot and brings it to your table. Not the best Pho I've had because the broth is a little thin on flavor, but adequate, nonetheless.

This place also does vegetables pretty well. They're fresh and crisp, without the sogginess of normal chinese buffets. Bamboo also have a pretty good soup selection. Hot and sour, seafood and wonton. I personally like the wonton soup the best. The broth is very flavorful and the wontons aren't mushy, which is very important. This place is owned by Thai people, I think, so it isn't strictly a chinese buffet. They also have Pasta House salad. Don't ask me how, don't ask me why, but it is a huge salad sitting there. Lastly, make sure you try the fried donuts, or ask for them if they're not out. Quite possible, the best dessert ever. You ask, isn't fried donut a little redundant? It's not after you've had these suckers. Two words for you: Goldenly Delicious.

Total price for the meal: 10.50

Bamboo Inn Rating: 4 Wangs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

HTML Hit Counter
stats counter